I was asked by a member of the Soul-Driven Tribe about how to differentiate the Ego voice from the Soul voice.
I’ve been chatting with my Soul for a very long time but it hadn’t occurred to me that it was my Soul and that there was actually another dude in the mix in the form of the Ego until I read a book that a friend recommended to me: “Soul Without Shame: A Guide to Liberating Yourself from the Judge Within” by Byron Brown*.
If you haven’t read it, I strongly encourage you to give it a try!
It gives you an amazing tour of how your “Judge” aka your Ego is working. 😉
Since then, I’ve had the opportunity to dive into my Soul & learn how the Ego plays tricks.
Here is my personal take on how those two work and how to differentiate them.
Your Ego Voice
- It is your social mask, it nourishes itself from other people’s opinions and your opinion of others…
- It needs the approval of others to feel worthy.
- It LOVES labels. It uses them to define you as different & separated from others. (tall, vegan, Spanish, man,
- It is trapped in time. Concerned about the past or the future. Regrets, shame, anxiety, fear…
- It is trapped in space. It doesn’t see behind the visible.
- It compares, judges. You are less, you are more, you are better, you are worse…
- It is terrified of dying so it will do anything to protect itself (therefore to protect you from what it perceives as danger).
- That’s why it goes crazy if it feels a danger… even if there is no danger AT ALL! It’s freaking out really quickly…
- It doesn’t really care about you. It only cares about itself. Douchebag alert!
- It is never satisfied with what you’re doing, what you have, what you are. IT’S NEVER ENOUGH!
- It’s the symbol of the Fight or Flight mode. There’s no calm, no quietness! It always wants to win or to run or to fight.
- It NEEDS, it WANTS. It tells you that you SHOULD, you COULD HAVE, you NEED TO, you HAVE TO…
- Its messages are specific & articulate, action-oriented OR emotion-based. It requires you to do an effort to “fix” the situation.
- It’s not caring, not supportive, not timeless, not insightful,
- It will make you believe that it’s your Soul talking when it’s only the Ego using tricks to ake you listen to it…
But the more you practice in recognizing its voice and your Soul voice, the more you will bypass it and make it shut its damn mouth!
* * *
Your Soul Voice
- It is your True Essence, connected to the Universe at all times.
- It doesn’t care about other people’s opinions. It’s not hurt by other people’s opinions.
- It recognizes the Universe in each being and things around you. It makes you feel connected and aligned with everything.
- It doesn’t pretend, it’s doesn’t play games. It’s raw & authentic.
- It feels effortless, it feels soft, harmonious, aligned with who you truly are.
- Its messages are not structured sentences or articulate thoughts, not products of your mind.
- It doesn’t talk much but when it does, it’s pure, simple, short and straight to the point & the words it uses are not those you would normally use.
- It doesn’t ask you to do things, it doesn’t make you feel trapped. It makes you feel expansive, empowered, thriving, blissful.
- It gently guides you with opportunities, gut-feelings, or for example you suddenly feel compelled to do something without knowing why
- It is always IN THE PRESENT, in the NOW. Time is irrelevant.
- It is living an infinity of realities at the same time, it is multidimensional. It is not scared of anything, it is not scared to die as it is eternal
- It doesn’t rush you. It takes things slow as it knows it’s all about the journey, not the destination.
- It makes you feel unconditional love, and gives you access to infinite wisdom when you’re tuned into it.
- It is no different from you. It is you & the Universe at the same time.
When I’m in tune with my Soul, life flows. I don’t have anything to do. I just am and it feels wonderful.
I get back to this when/after I meditate, self-plant, give Reiki, am mindful…
The more often I practice those things, the more often I feel that Soul Alignment.
And I know I can always go back to it whenever I want to.
It is and will always be there!
* * *
Questions to help differentiate the Ego vs Soul:
- Does it make you feel separated from others? Yes (Ego) / No (Soul) (Soul – you recognize yourself & the Universe in others – oneness)
- Is it time/space-based? (past or future related?) Yes (Ego) / No (Soul) (Soul – eternal message, time is irrelevant)
- Are the communication, the message or its content effortful in any way? Yes (Ego) / No (Soul) (Soul – you are already perfect as you are)
- Is it judgy? fighty? Yes (Ego) / No (Soul) (Soul – super gentle, loving & caring message)
Hope that will help you!
Let me know what you think in the comments and how these guys show up for you!
* This is an Amazon affiliate link which means that if you order through this link, I get a small commission by Amazon. It doesn’t change the price of your order at all. It’s taken on the profit generated by Amazon. 😉